London Interdisciplinary School (LIS)
The challenges humanity is facing aren’t the stuff of dystopia, science fiction, or textbooks. They’re happening today – and they’ve never been more complex and interconnected. Yet our higher education system is still structured in silos, leaving graduates ill-equipped to tackle the complexity that surrounds them. The next generation is now demanding to learn in a different way. That’s where The London Interdisciplinary School comes in.
LIS is a startup university that equips learners with an interdisciplinary toolkit to tackle the complex, real-world problems of the 21st century. With a world-class faculty, three exceptional founding cohorts and close partnerships with global organisations such as McKinsey, KPMG and innocent, LIS is building a new type of education for those who want to shape the world, not just fit in.
About the job
The career coach is responsible for planning, designing and running our internal careers programmes including 1:1 coaching with students.
They are a trained coach and/or careers specialist that provide coaching, counselling, mentoring and guidance. They ensure that our students are provided with the appropriate support and advice to identify their interests, strengths and opportunities and build their accountability, confidence and self-belief. They help students understand and communicate what skills they have and what their time at LIS has prepare them to do.
They also ensure they have the support to build core skills to find and get a job and/or create their own future opportunities. They work closely with the Head of Student Support to ensure that a holistic approach.
They report to the Head of Partnerships and Community.
- 🧭 Develop our approach to student guidance and work with faculty to map skills
- 💬 Coach 150 students across bachelors and masters programmes (remote and campus), record and share insights
- ℹ️ Gather and maintain careers information and resources
- 🧑🏫 Run and/or organise workshops with students on core skills such as CV, LinkedIn, interviews, presentation, applications, portfolios
- 🤝 Find partners to provide specialist support e.g. Entrepreneur First
- 🧑💼 Work closely with The Partnership Associate to match students to impactful internship opportunities
- 💿 Maintain student records, from the perspective of careers
- 🤲 Collaborate with and support The Head of Student Support to ensure a equitable and holistic approach
- 5+ years experience of working with people to help them start and develop their careers and identify their interests and talents
- A level 6 or 7 qualification in careers and/or coaching
- Strong network of people and organisations that can support career development
- Passionate about taking new and fresh approaches to helping people start careers
- A natural at collaborations, working cross functionally and with a range of stakeholders
- You love embracing new perspectives and live our values: be kind, be brave, behonest, keep learning and welcome otherness
- £40,000 - £45,000 FTE, depending on level of experience
- Flexible working, with 2-days per week on campus and the opportunity to work remotely (including in another country) for up to 1 month each calendar year
- The opportunity to perform the role on a 4-day a week basis
- 30 days holiday. Take time out to be inspired
- Company-sponsored health plan and monthly fitness contribution
- Annual personal development contribution for external training/coaching
- The opportunity to join a mission-led, fast-growing organisation that is changing higher education