Head of Admissions
London Interdisciplinary School (LIS)
At LIS, we’re building a new, world-class university that is fit to tackle some of the global challenges facing society whilst challenging the status quo of higher education in the UK. We’ve brought together an outstanding group of academics, entrepreneurs and educationalists. The LIS team includes philosophers, epidemiologists, artists, journalists, behavioural scientists, and mathematicians, as well as entrepreneurs and professionals. We also work with a network of organisations ranging from purpose-led startups (e.g. OLIO) to multinational firms (e.g. KPMG) and public sector organisations (e.g. Frontline).
We're committed to delivering a fair admissions system that admits students of outstanding achievement and potential, irrespective of their background. We achieve this by looking beyond grades, and ensuring all our team are trained on inclusion and equality.
General description/Your role:
We are looking for a person to lead the success of the School’s Admissions function. Reporting to the Registrar, you will take the lead in the end-to-end admissions process for applicants, as well as lead the ongoing development of our student application processes, including its redesign. You will lead the Admissions Team and work in a small, fast-paced environment to lead the recruitment of potential students for our future cohorts.
Your idea of a great day will be liaising with other members of the LIS team (including Marketing, Schools, and Faculty) to deliver an exceptional and innovative applicant experience, developing our data approaches, and leading the project of improving and re-designing our innovative admissions process. Our team aims to recruit a truly diverse cohort, with a commitment to reviewing all applications holistically and beyond their grades, and you will be integral to this mission, as well as the goal to further improve this.
Day to day, you will take the lead in the delivery of LIS’s admissions cycles, including, but not limited to:
- Reconfigure our approach to ensure that our admissions approach and use of data is at the cutting-edge of best practice in the Higher Education sector
- Managing the development and delivery of the School’s admissions function in accordance with the needs of the School, applicants, and in accordance with sector best practice.
- Lead the Admissions Team, ensuring the team have sufficient support, training and knowledge to deliver our innovative admissions process from first contact through to enrolment, ensuring best practice and fair admissions is always adhered to.
- Manage the planning, delivery and evaluation of all admissions-related activities, including our unique BASc admissions interviews, Results Day, and Clearing.
- Manage the ongoing development of the School’s admissions policies, procedures, and related documents, ensuring they are regularly checked, are transparent, and comply with all regulatory requirements and best practice, including GDPR and UCAS
- Be the expert for all best practice, regulatory and legal requirements related to admissions, and ensuring these are followed by all relevant staff, including those relating to GDPR, fee status assessments, and UKVI guidance
- Manage and develop all admissions-related platforms and application forms, including UCAS, Tribal ebs, and Hubspot, ensuring they meet the needs of applicants and the growing admissions function
- Lead the School through the summer Clearing and Results Day period, ensuring that sufficient resources and support are in place to deliver an effective service to meet the needs of applicants and LIS
- Be accountable for the accuracy and regular updates of admissions information and applicant guidance both externally and internally
- Review and strengthen our admissions processes to ensure consistency, validity and fairness of admissions judgements
- Processing and managing new applications for our undergraduate (BASc) and postgraduate (MASc) degree programmes, as well as new programmes in development
- Gathering additional information for applicant’s where applicable, including the collection of references and supporting documents
- Overseeing the management, analysis and presentation of applicant data which we’ll use in our decision-making on offers and conditions of offer
- Providing applicant support and offering high-quality customer service to all applicants
- Liaising effectively with the wider team and candidates to ensure the smooth, prompt running of our admissions process
- Support other teams by assisting with events, recruitment campaigns, data insights, and developing information and guidance for students
The role is available to start from January 2024.
Early applications are encouraged and some interviews may take place before Christmas 2023.
Please note, we will close the vacancy early if we find an exceptional candidate, so we encourage you to apply straight away
Please submit your CV and a cover letter as part of your application.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend a phone interview with the Registrar. Successful candidates after this will be invited to a panel interview and will complete a task.
Closing date: Noon on 2nd January 2024 .
LIS is committed to diversity, equality and inclusion in the hiring of its staff, and in all aspects of staff training, remuneration, development and performance management.
We are only able to consider candidates with the eligibility to work in the UK.